For transfer students, we require a completed application, two letters of recommendation – academic and personal/pastoral, an official transcript from all colleges or universities attended, and descriptions of all completed college-level courses. Students seeking to transfer fewer than 24 semester units are required to submit high school transcripts and results of standardized tests (ACT or SAT). A campus or telephone interview is required. Every application, including transfer credits, is carefully reviewed and considered for admission to the sophomore or junior classes.
It is expected that transfer students will have had exposure to mathematics and science courses on a comparable level prior to entry to the University. There are no specific topics expected to have been covered in humanities and social science classes, although theology electives may be credited towards the degree.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION
The University of Saint Katherine admits to its sophomore and junior classes a small number of students who have excellent records at other institutions of collegiate rank.
1. University of Saint Katherine (USK) will accept credit for equivalent courses from both unaccredited and accredited colleges including courses by distance education.
2. University of Saint Katherine measures all courses in semester credits of credit. Quarter credits are converted to semester credits by reducing the quarter credits by one-third. Such a reduction does not mean loss of credit.
3. Credit is given for baccalaureate courses excluding preparatory level, technical, vocational, professional, physical education, internship, practicum, and work experience/co-op credits.
4. A maximum of 70 semester credits from Community Colleges and Universities will be applied toward the bachelor’s degree. Students must complete at least 50 credits from the University of Saint Katherine. A student must meet all the credit and grade requirements as stated in the Academic Course Catalog.
5. Transfer students may fulfill their general education requirements by completing the University of Saint Katherine’s General Education Curriculum or, prior to enrolling at SKC, completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
The IGETC model for the California State University (CSU) system or University of California (UC) is accepted by Saint Katherine College with the following provisions:
The current foreign language requirement for all bachelor degrees will be retained.
There is a minimum of 120 credits for graduation.
In addition to the IGETC, all prerequisites and support courses for existing majors must be met.
Transfer students following the IGETC must complete it before they enroll at the University of Saint Katherine. Students who do not complete the IGETC before they enroll will follow the SKC General Education curriculum.
6. All transfer students are required to take a minimum of 9 out of 21 integrated core credits at USK.
7. Grades do not transfer – only credits of credit. A student’s grade-point average is computed for graduation purposes only on work completed at the University of Saint Katherine.
8. The University of Saint Katherine will not accept transfer credit for the following courses: courses that duplicate credit already granted, courses with grades of “C-” or below, non-college level remedial courses.
9. Independent Study and special topics courses are not automatically accepted in transfer. Approval of transfer credit is granted on a case-by-case basis. The courses must be applicable towards specific degree requirements and be recommended for transfer by the academic department in which the course content falls. The request for approval will be decided by the Faculty Senate.
10. College-level credit earned during the 10th, 11th and 12th grades will be accepted in transfer for Advanced Placement if the student earns a test score of three or higher and for the International Baccalaureate exams with a score of four or higher.
11. A maximum of nine semester credits will be given for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams.
12. For Athletic eligibility, students must have completed 24 credits in the previous academic year and must have maintained a 2.5 GPA.
13. The combined total of transferred credits plus completed the University of Saint Katherine credits determines student level:
Freshman 0-29 credits
Sophomore 30-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90 credits and above
STANDARDIZED TEST REQUIREMENTS
Transfer applicants are not required to submit ACT or SAT scores if more than 24 college units have been completed.